Contact usOffice de Tourisme de France Loire et Nohain
Place du Docteur Jacques Huyghues des Etages
B.P 111 58205 COSNE-COURS-SUR-LOIRE
Tél : 03 86 28 11 85

Opening hours

D'avril à septembre :

du lundi au samedi 9h-12h (en juillet-août 12h30) et 14h-18h30.
Le dimanche 10h-12h30 (en juillet-août 13h).

D'octobre à mars :

du mardi au samedi 9h-12h et 14h-17h.
Fermé le dimanche et le lundi.
Comeat CosneIn Burgundy,near to Sancerre
You are here > Discover our land > The Commune > Cosne-Cours-sur-Loire

Cosne-Cours-sur-Loire

Cosne-Cours-sur-Loire
Museum of the LoireLa tour de guet du Vieux ChâteauLa tour de guet de l'Eglise Saint-JacquesLa maison des chapelainsLa Chapelle Notre Dame de GallesLe Palais EpiscopalLa Tour des Rempartsle Palais de justiceLe site des forges de la ChaussadeLe portail SévignéLes chutes du NohainLe pont suspenduL'Eglise Saint-AgnanL'Eden Cinéma

The Musée de la Loire
Located in the former Augustinian convent, registered in the additional inventory of Historical Monuments, the Ethnological Museum has a capital dedicated to the Loire and its history: commercial fishing, skippers are mentioned through everyday objects, ceramics Nevers, nets, fishing gear and boat models. In another register, visitors are invited to explore the collection inherited from Fine Arts in 1970 by Emile Loiseau, very representative of the School of Paris (1910-1925). It is exceptional for the presence of the great creators of modern painting: Dufy, Vlaminck, Derain, Manguin, Utrillo, Chagall, Zingg, Epstein, Krémègne.
Various activities are offered throughout the year:
Temporary exhibitions, conferences, guided tours, workshops around different activities such as treasure hunts and puzzles for children and demonstrations: (Museum Night Festival, the Loire feast and the National Heritage Days).

Opening hours :
- from March to the end of December : from Monday to Friday (except Tuesday) from 10am to 12pm and 14pm to 18pm ; on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 14pm to 18pm.

 

The Old Castle
Starting from the Tourist Office towards the Post Office, right down the street A Baudin, a portal gives access to a wide parking, the site of the Old Castle. Almost entirely rebuilt in the 13th century octagonal plan: walls, four towers and two square towers, the complex was lowered by order of Richelieu in 1640, with the exception of the tower-porch with a gothic arch visible from the street Duguet. In 1860, the castle was partially demolished to allow construction of a prison, now abandoned and converted into meeting rooms. The courtyard hosts nightly shows during the tourist season.

Eglise Saint-Jacques (classified MH.)
Up the street Louis Paris, and the Duguet street, you reach the church of St. Jacques (XVth century), originally Collegiate Church of St Lawrence. To the left of the bell tower, the gable of the west front ends with a small platform with overhanging openwork railing stone, supposed to be watching a watchman. The arch gate in the third point is surmounted by a wide bay with flamboyant tracery. Inside, admire the wrought iron gates, the nave, the choir and the chapel, prominent south,the Gothic style, the main altar and stained glass.

Chaplains' House
In the Middle Ages, the whole block surrounding the former Renaissance Hotel, already belonged to the chaplain of Saint-Jacques. The main building confined to a small tower, is one of the most picturesque spots in the city. Underground tunnels allowed direct access to the church. The research group CONDAT brought together in this house, collections of tools from the Neolithic period, concise sculpture, pottery, tools, coins and Gallo Roman jewellery, as well as ceramics and objects of the Merovingian , Carolingian and Medieval periods.

Chapelle ND.of Wales
Continuing the street of Chaplains, you cross the Rue du General de Gaulle to reach the rue Pasteur. To your right , the remains of the chapel Notre Dame of Wales, built during the Hundred Years War, at the location of the first chapel built in 873.

The Episcopal Palace - Place Pasteur
The Episcopal Palace was first built around 1087 and rebuilt at the request of Hugues de Noyers, 57th bishop of Auxerre.
Inaugurated in 1206, shortly before his death, the palace continued to belong to the bishop until 1640 and was assigned to the officers of justice, without knowing in what circumstances, in 1683.
Used successively as an audience room for the nearby prison and as a City Hall, after restoration in 1762, the palace served again from legal process, to collect the salt tax. In 1891, he became a Protestant church and then was acquired in 1930 by René Giblin to become a carpenter shop until 1982.

Classified in the inventory of historical monuments in 1990, was bought in 1992 by Serge Libert "companion of the ancient duties": a painter and sculptor, who gives a second life to the monument, convinced of the need to restore this architectural heritage.Now saved from ruin, this building welcomes exhibitions, events of all kinds, public and private parties ...

The Tower
This trace of the city wall is visible from the corner of Chollet and Marcellin Berthelot streets However, remains only the stonework on a low-rise roof protected by a backup. There is no remnant of another tower of the same name, built in the IXth century for surveillance of the Loire.

The Courthouse (Le Palais de Justice)-
Bad Ems Place
Built in 1866 in the Renaissance style. Now the building is disused.

The site of Les Forges de la Chaussade - Quai Maréchal Joffre
For two centuries, the Forges of the Chaussade, using hydraulic power from the Nohain, underwent many transformations resulting from the evolution of their business. Today, the development of the site revealed the ruins of heritage value, such as waterways, and what remains of the equipment generating the driving force. The fronts of buildings facing the Loire have kept their gates, the testimony of a former knowledge and skill. The most remarkable of these ironworks is part of a monumental complex: the gateway to the main entrance of the Forges.
An inscription reminds the visit of the workshop to the anchors by Madame de Sevigne, September 30th,in 1677. Until 1872, this industrial manufacture of anchors for the navy , showed a perfectly integration into that of the Faubourg St.Agnan: the banks of the Loire, a heavily reinforced house which sheltered a nail factory at the corner of the street des Forges, the area of the Annunciation, and the water storage of the Nohain, confine the area once occupied by the royal manufactory.
For the picture lovers see also : the falls of the Nohain and the perspective on the scenic water level of the reservoir - a contemporary sculpture: "The Mariner pulling his boat" portraying life on the Loire - an anchor in the Chaussade forged in 1861 - the dead end of the Annunciation - throughout the site, dominated by the Church of St. Agnan, opened on the Loire and its suspension bridge.

Place des Marronniers
La Place des Marronniers offers an ideal panoramic view on the Loire, with its suspension bridge, the beaches, the Isle of Cosne, its shaded “promenades”, its camp site and the hills of the Sancerre region ...
It continues by the touristic road and a pedestrian lane, a landscaped area leading to the Port Aubry (9 acres along the Loire). Suitable for picnics, games, relaxation and fishing , this “natural” park includes an obstacle course of 700 meters long for biking. South to the entrance of the bridge called "the PO" - major railway structures of the late XIXth S. an original stroll , such as a Cycling-Rail includes the crossing of the Loire : fantastic occasion to discover the Sancerre region.
Nearby, the Port Aubry Farm, located on the area of the original naming of the "Crottin de Chavignol", focuses on teaching children and adults, the authenticity of many rural activities and in particular its farm goats,at the origin of its traditional cheese making.
Also visit : the local shop with its regional products.

 

Church St. Agnan

The church, listed as MH in 1862, was built late 11th and early 12th centuries on the site of the Oratory of Saint Front, built in the 6th century. This remarkable church, an ancient priory of the Order of Cluny,is all that remains of the original apsis, the portal and some elements of the walls.
In 1738, the Romanesque bell tower which rose between the nave and the sanctuary, collapsed causing the ruin of most of the church. The current bell tower dates from the 18th century,period of the reconstruction of the building. It rests on theRomanesque and fortunately preserved portal, and on the remains of a medieval tower. The exterior and interior of this church have been recently restored.


 

© Tourist home of Cosne-Cours-sur-Loire - Design by itiConseilLegal references - Contact
Office de tourisme de Cosne-sur-Loire